Thursday, December 3, 2009

greetings from the green corduroy sofa

As has been the case with every major piece of furniture we've purchased together - I am so thankful that Alex and I chose an extremely comfortable sofa. We rearranged our living room to make it more conducive to my laying on my left side and still being able to see the TV, and be part of any conversation that might be going on. 

I am starting to get used to not getting up and doing things.  I think this might be a problem later when I am fully capable of doing things myself - but we'll worry about that later, shall we?  :)

Aside from becoming a baker and making me a delicious batch of sugar cookies on Sunday...  Alex has blossomed into quite the homemaker.  He went to the grocery store on Tuesday - and came back with everything that was on the list.  He said he didn't even mind doing the shopping.  He made dinner the past 2 nights, and then for lunch, we eat whatever is leftover from the night before.  He has been Johnny on the spot for everything I've needed during this past 2 weeks of bed rest.  What an amazing husband!

I am approaching 35 weeks.  This is wonderful news.  Any day past 37 weeks will be icing on the cake, and since I haven't even been started on blood pressure medication yet - I'm thinking we'll be able to get to 37, and possibly even go a bit further! 

Lorelei is still very active.  She kicks quite a bit - but her new favorite trick is to push out on my tummy as hard as she can.  It's normally her little butt that she's pushing out.  I wish I could look in there and see how she's doing it - what she's pushing against...  But I'll feel my tummy stretching, and look down - and there will be a huge mountain on one side of my tummy or the other.  I think it's pretty funny - and I'll tell Alex "She's trying to escape again".  He responds by telling her "It's not time yet...  Gotta stay in there a little bit longer."

I think about the strangest things.  WTE says that babies at this stage have REM sleep.  Does she dream?  If so - what about?  Does she feel cramped in there at all?  Is she aware enough to feel cramped - or is she like an amoeba in a petrie dish, just used to the surroundings she's always known, and not apt to question?  She has to be aware enough to realize that she has less room in there than she did, right? 

According to WTE - she's grown as long as she's going to before birth, and she is gaining half a pound each week.  This I believe.  My belly feels heavy.  I can't imagine being on my feet all day long - I think my back would die!  I also feel a bit off-balance most of the time.  My center of gravity is NOT where it used to be, and I'm definitely front heavy.  :)

With all this bed resting, I've been trying to heed my friend Lindsay's advice...  I've been trying to take some time to just enjoy being pregnant.  This is easiest to accomplish when Lorelei is kicking.  I focus on feeling her little kicks - and knowing that this is like a little secret that just she and I share.  I think about the possibilities that lay ahead of her.  I think about what she'll look like.  I think about what kind of a Mother I'll be.  I think about Alex as a Father.

It's true that not everyone gets everything they've always wanted.  But, I have to say...  right now, my life is coming pretty darn close.

- mama g

2 comments:

  1. tear...i'm glad you are in such good spirits. tell alex thanks for taking such good care of you.
    you deserve to be so happy!
    oh and thanks so much for my b-day gift! it was perfect! i love it!
    well chat soon. kisses- kakes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you are taking some time to enjoy and remember these moments. Bed rest teaches you how to ask for help. Continue this after she is born!

    ReplyDelete