Tuesday, August 25, 2009

the belly, the vaccination, and the beginning of swollen feet

Greetings, faithful reader!

For those of you who might have lost count... We are half-way through week 19. Sprout is making him or herself more and more known each day. Including right now. (I'm being kicked as I type this).

I am officially showing. Thankfully, Alex thinks my pregnant belly is cute. This is really good news for me, because it didn't feel anything even resembling cute until he said it was. Now - I'm starting to feel better about it. It's really bizarre... We girls spend most of our lives trying to keep our tummies from view - and then we get pregnant, and they are out there on display. It's hard to let it go, and be okay with a tummy poking out. But what do you do?

I've gotten a few emails and phone calls asking me how I'm going to handle all this flu nonsense. I'd be lying if I said I'm not a bit concerned. I'm concerned. College campuses are giant petree dishes for diseases, and since the H1N1 likes the young folks... I'm sure that it will be on our campus in force. The good news: my particular college has moved off of the main campus due to remodeling of our building. And my one and only class is being held in the off campus location. That means I will only be exposed to College of Ed people. The bad news: most of the College of Ed people work with children at schools during the day, and then attend class in the evening. My particular class has only 7 or 8 people in it... And I think only 1 or 2 actually teach in schools, so really - with hand washing, and good hygiene as the CDC recommends... I should be fine. I am getting the regular flu vaccination tomorrow, and then HOPEFULLY - the campus health clinic will get the H1N1 vaccine when it becomes available in October. If they get it - I am already on the list. But they won't know for a couple more weeks. I am being careful already. I carry clorox wipes and anti-bacterial wipes with me at all times - AND I do use them often. (i.e.: today on the shopping cart at Target) I've been washing my hands very carefully, and if I even sense that someone I'm around is sick... I'll leave the room. I'm not afraid to be rude at this point. I've got to look out for Sprout.

Today, I did the grocery shopping for the week... Which, I have to say is getting more tiring each time I do it recently. I'm hopeful that it will start getting easier - OR that I find another solution for getting groceries into the house. (I've actually been thinking that if I break it up into 2 smaller trips, it might be a little more doable) Anyhow, as I was driving home, I noticed that my flip flop was digging into the top of my foot. I looked down, and saw my little toes were all kinds of swollen. My ankles weren't too bad, but my toes were puffy and stiff. I've read that the whole swollen feet thing is super common and gets worse as the pregnancy wears on... My thought? Minimal. I can handle swollen feet. It's some of the other possible side effects of pregnancy that have me sleeping with garlic & holy water on my bedside table. Thankfully, I've not had to deal with any of those...

...and just to prove that I still have a sense of humor about things... Pregnant Women are Smug (I wouldn't watch this at work. It has one or 2 inappropriate words)

- mama g

No comments:

Post a Comment