Sunday, November 1, 2009

29 weeks

Hello again!

Just a quick post to let you know how things are going here in Pregnant-ville.

Birthing Class #2

We learned all about C-sections, and Alex decided that's the way he wants things done.  My opinion is when he's the one going through it physically, he can choose how he wants to do it.  Me personally?  I'd like to avoid the C-section if at all possible.  Not that it looks SO TERRIBLE - I just want to have a quicker recovery - and be able to enjoy lifting my little baby when she's first here.

We also learned the "hee hee hee who" breathing technique during which the nurse had us place clothespins on our ears to simulate pain.  Sounds cheesy, right?  It actually HURT.  She had the coaches put clothespins on their ears too, and Alex was alarmed at how painful it was.


H1N1

I happened to call my OB's office on Monday of last week for a totally unrelated reason - only to learn that they received a small batch of the H1N1 vaccine!   HOORAY!  I went in on Tuesday and rolled up my sleeve gladly.  They say the shot takes 8 - 10 days to be fully effective, so I'm not out of the danger zone yet - but I saw the exit sign, and relief is on the way.  (At least now Marmee & Alex won't lock me up in the house and refuse to let me out)


OB Checkup

Thursday I had my monthly checkup with my OB.  The short update is: everything looks great.  The longer version is - I was having an emotional day evidently, because after they weighed me, I started crying and really didn't stop until after we'd been home a good half an hour.  I gained more than I'd like to discuss.  But my doctor, God love him, said he's not at all concerned - said I'm doing great, and that I shouldn't be worried about the weight gain at this point.  Rationally, I heard him.  But I'd be lying if I said it didn't hurt my feelings to see such a big number on the scale.  ESPECIALLY since the last 2 weeks - I've been following a diabetic-friendly diet, and really being careful about my food.  Frustrating!  (I couldn't even consume the 2,200 calories I'm supposed to every day - so why should I be gaining???  Welcome to pregnancy)


Glucose Tolerance Test - The 3 Hour Version

So - after my 1 hour glucose tolerance test came back "abnormal", I was told I'd need to take the 3 hour test.  You can imagine how excited I was!!  The YUCK orange drink and FOUR needle sticks?!?!?!  I want to go to there!  ...or not.  But there was no point in arguing.  It had to be done.  So I went in on Friday to get it over with.  The YUCK orange drink was the same amount of liquid with TWICE the amount of sugar.  (It said 100 instead of 50 on it)  I did have some trouble choking it down, but aside from that - and enduring FOUR SEPARATE NEEDLE STICKS - it wasn't as bad as the first time around.  Thank goodness.  I imagine I'll get the results early this week.  I'll let you know.

Halloween

Considering my (possible) issues with sugar, and my (husband's & Mother's) issues with germ-filled environments - Halloween was spent here at the house this year.  Laura and Ralph came over, and Laura passed out candy to the germ-mongers, I mean trick-or-treaters who came to the door.  We ate chili and watched both the OU and OSU football games.  It was a laid back night - and I had a really good time.  I'm glad that we have friends who are willing to come to our place and hang out like that.  Otherwise - we'd never see anyone.  :)

Picture Time

I did want to have at least a couple of pictures of me pregnant.  I don't like how I look right now - but I know I would be regretful if I didn't have at least some photographic evidence of my first pregnancy...  So I played around with the timer on my camera and managed to snap a couple of pictures that I don't HATE - but I don't really like them either.  Just for comparisson's sake...  I am going to post a pre-pregnancy photo as well.

This is me (and Auntie Donna) in March.  I got pregnant in April.


You can use the recliner as a point of reference.  I'm HUGE!  This is 29 weeks.

The good news is - Alex thinks I'm cute like this.  He's the best husband ever!
That's all for this post, kids...  Stay tuned.  Coming up this week: birthing class #3, and the LONG awaited shower!!!

- mama g

No comments:

Post a Comment