Thursday, October 22, 2009

a baby shower, a birthing class, and an overall update

first - the baby shower for cousin Amanda. She is due to have her little girl December 2nd - and she's naming her Sarina Marie (such a cute name!). The shower was held at her Mom's house, and it was a really fun time.

Here is the diaper cake that she got - isn't it fun??
















and the beautiful Dutch girl quilt she got...
This is Amanda opening the highchair that I decided to also register for - because it was really neat....

it was a fun afternoon topped off by YUMMY cake - which makes any party a success.

Also - I have to make mention of the DELICIOUS pub mix that they had.  I think I could have eaten 3 pounds of it - and still wanted more.  MMMMMM!







Birthing Class #1

Several of you know I was dreading birthing class.  I had heard enough about "THE VIDEO" to know that with my oh-so-tender tummy these days, I wasn't sure I'd make it gag-free.  Alex and I got to birthing class right on time to find that there were NINETEEN other couples in the class as well.  Okay, that's not what I pictured.  I thought maybe 10 couples total.  I had no basis for that assumption - but that's what I was prepared for in my brain.  The nurse who taught the class dove right in.  She started with a slide show that depicted all kinds of things from the baby's position pre-birth and during - to the mom's parts and how they work during labor.  I'll admit I felt a little awkward for some of the guys in there - I'm not so sure they were ready to hear some of the things she was saying...  But after the first few minutes, it seemed normal to be hearing the word "cervix" being casually tossed around.  After the slide show - we were given a break and offered some refreshments.  During the break - the nurse showed the birth part of Bill Cosby, Himself.  Classic & perfectly apropos!

Then it was time for "THE VIDEO".  Folks - it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated.  It was graphic - there is no question about that.  Alex and I agreed that the yuckiest part was the placenta delivery.  On all of the TLC shows - they never mention what happens after the baby is out.  At that point, Mom is holding baby - and everyone is happy and crying, and they all ride off into the sunset together.  Only, in the real world - Mom still gets a couple more contractions, and actually has to push to deliver the placenta.  (Can I say I'm SO glad I know that now???  I think it would have more than unnerved me to feel more contractions, and be told to push after the baby was delivered...  But now, I'll know what that's all about). 

After the video, we did some breathing exercises together - only about 10 minutes worth...  But it was what you would expect to see in a child birthing class.  She told us that our next class will be taught by a different nurse - and that she will teach us about C-sections primarily...  I'm interested to learn more about that topic, even though I would REALLY RATHER NOT have one.  I know - as has been the case so far with all this baby business - that I will feel less scared once I have more information.

When the class was over, I stopped in the restroom.  The nurse said if anyone had any general questions - that she'd be happy to answer them.  I had a couple, but I figured there would be a line of people waiting to talk to her - so I waddled into the bathroom.  When I came out, I was SHOCKED to find that everyone had left.  So, I decided to ask her my questions.  :)  She was super sweet, answered every question I had IN DEPTH...  I know I've said it before - but my OB's office has the greatest people!

The Overall Update

The first question I asked her was about this stupid carpal tunnel.  It's really been painful - and seemed like it was a fairly quick onset.  During the birthing class, she had mentioned that if the swelling in the feet and ankles seemed to have a quick onset - to call the office and have blood pressure checked.  So I asked her if sudden onset carpal tunnel could be due to high blood pressure.  She said she didn't think so, but gladly took me into an exam room and checked my blood pressure just to be sure.  And it was just fine.  :)

As Alex and I were gathering our things to leave, she asked how I was feeling overall.  I said that I'd been really tired, and was anxious to see the results from my blood test & glucose test - and to see if I am anemic. She ran to get my chart right away, and sure enough - I'm anemic.  So - she gave me iron supplements and I started them on Tuesday.  As of yet - they haven't made a huge difference, but I imagine it's going to take my body a little time to stop shuttling every drop of iron I get to the baby, and start leaving some for me.  She also gave me the results of my blood glucose test.  That came back abnormal (shoot!) so I have to do the 3 hour test next.  Meaning I get a 2nd date with the oh-so-ucky glucose drink. 

The rest of this week has sort of flown by...  I have needed naps everyday - so so much for my theory of being able to take them or leave them.  I think the lesson there was, if I leave a nap - I'm gonna have to just take one later.  :)  I did try to knit a little yesterday.  It's wasn't painful while I was doing it - but afterwards, both of my thumbs hurt up into my wrists.  I did (on the advice of WTE and my nurse) buy some splints for my hands.  I wear them mostly when I'm in bed - because that's where WTE suggests most of the swelling happens...  You know, all the funky positions we get our arms and hands into while we sleep.  The good news is - I haven't had the tingling in my arms or hands since I started wearing the splints.  The bad news is - it's REALLY difficult to get comfortable with those things on.

Now - for some exciting news - last night, Alex was FINALLY ABLE TO FEEL THE BABY KICK!  HOORAY!!!!!!!!!  :)  She was kicking up a storm, and I had him come over and gently rest his hand on my belly - and sure enough...  After about a minute, she launched a big one, and he felt it!!  It was nice to be able to share her kicking with him finally!  I know he's been really wanting to experience that for himself.  I've really been wanting him to get to as well!

Today - when he came home from work, Alex had some presents for the baby from one of his work colleagues.  She sent a teddy bear, a knitted scarf, and a knitted little sweater.  SO PRECIOUS!  It's so sweet that people I haven't had the pleasure to meet want to send things for our little baby!  I was truly touched by the gifts.  It just reminds me of how generous and lovely people can be. 

This weekend - I'm excited to get to see Sarah & Dave, Marmee, Rick, and Vickie!!!  And I get to meet Vickie's new dog Diva!  I have a new OB appointment coming up next week - but I'm sure that I will update you before then.

Thanks for reading!

- mama g

No comments:

Post a Comment