Monday, October 19, 2009

carpal tunnel, really?

This weekend, I learned about a new bonus ailment that can come with your pregnancy package free of charge! Congratulations to me! I am the proud new owner of carpal tunnel syndrome!

I guess I should have seen it coming with all the knitting I was doing. I did notice that my hands were feeling sore - like I needed to pop my knuckles all the time - at the end of each day. And I had noticed that my hands were numb at tingly at night - sometimes my entire arms would be. But I didn't piece it all together until this weekend when my hands were so puffy, swollen, and painful. Marmee diagnosed it right away - and in a healthy fit of incredulous denial, I didn't believe her until I got home and consulted WTE. Sure enough - according to WTE most pregnant women experience carpal tunnel. Luckily, it's SUPPOSED to go away when my body is no longer inhabited by 2 people - I just hope it does! I didn't really give carpal tunnel sufferers enough credit before. It's downright painful. Luckily, I don't type or handwrite enough these days that I have to play through the pain. I can just keep my hands resting for the most part.

But the knitting has to go to the sidelines for at least a couple of days until this swelling has a chance to go down.

Even holding my cell phone is painful.

Pitiful. Just pitiful.

In other news - this weekend, I made it through both Saturday AND Sunday without taking a nap. I'm paying for it a little bit today - but I was impressed with myself, because I didn't get all cranky - and I really didn't miss the naps TOO much. (not that I'm excited to give them up... but it's nice to know I can take them or leave them).

I also got to go to Amanda's baby shower this weekend. I will have to write a post about that and include pictures later on. It was really fun, though... I will go ahead and say that much.

For now, I'm going to go catch up on some homework and then grab a couple of zzzzzz's before birthing class tonight.

- mama g

No comments:

Post a Comment